Monday, July 29, 2019

Our Unseen Neighbors

Photo by Bryan Jones

Sometimes kindness requires that we step out of our comfort zone. At the Center for Spiritual Living in Santa Rosa, there is a photo exhibit of unsheltered, homeless people. Bryan Jones, the photographer, invites us to see them, they are our neighbors too.

Reflect on what holds you back. I remember being at a conference in Salt Lake City where I was going to attend a workshop on assisting the homeless. At breakfast I promised myself I would say hello to those I saw on my walk to the convention center. I was afraid that "they" would hound me for money. Not one of the four or five that I greeted and had a brief conversation with did. My regret was that I had set out without a lot of time to visit and had to be on my way to my meeting.

This week's kindness practice is to see and say hello to those you may ignore, choose not to see. You'll find this invitation to be kind under the tab above.









No comments:

Post a Comment