Monday, October 21, 2019

The Three Gates

Garden gate
Photo by Fiona Naughton on Unsplash

I had a lot of meetings last week. Sitting with a cup of tea this weekend, I realized just how cranky and critical I was in many of them. And there was the conversation with a friend about my frustrations with another friend. Hmmm. My reflections made me feel a bit squirmy (do you know that feeling?).

I was reminded of the three Sufi gates -- before I speak anything there are three questions to ask myself:
          Is it true?
          Is it necessary?
          Is it kind?

Many of my conversations would have failed to pass through the last two gates into speech. Perhaps even truth was in question, had I been able to stand in another person's shoes.

This week, may you pause before you speak, so that whatever you say is true, necessary and kind.









No comments:

Post a Comment