Monday, August 12, 2019

Before Getting Down to Business

Add caption

Has the picture made you hungry? It does look rather delicious. I wonder if the person who ordered it took time to see and thank the person who brought the food to the table?

Some years ago, on a tour in Bali, I stayed at a large hotel. Without exception, every staff person I met  -- on my way to the restaurant, at the front desk when I needed something, or simply going out for a stroll -- said hello and asked me how I was. It was different than our routine "Hi, How are you?" "Fine, thanks." They paused to see and appreciate me.

Returning to the states, I've done my best to carry this practice into my daily work. Throughout the day, when I see a colleague that I want to talk to about something, first, I greet them and check-in for a bit. Then, I get down to business. It takes a minute or so, sometimes more. When I'm in a rush, part of me just wants to get things done. Then I remember, people aren't things, Each one of us matters and deserves to be seen and appreciated.

That's this week's practice. It would be lovely if you left a comment on your experience. Namaste.














No comments:

Post a Comment